How to Get Rid of Greasy/Oily Hair!

I may have been #blessed with straight, manageable hair but I wasn't spared the grease and oil that came along with my fine, thin locks. I went through stages where it felt like I'd blow-dry my hair and 20 minutes later it already looked greasy. I felt like I had to wash my hair everyday (which everyone knows is miserable) and it was getting ridiculous. I knew it was time to make changes to my haircare routine. With these changes, I can now go days (literally!) without washing. Keep on reading to find out my secrets!


Step One: STOP washing everyday

I know this one sounds impossible for us oily-haired girls, but after the first few days you will be so happy you stopped this habit. The more you wash your hair, the more you're stripping your scalp of it's natural oils which then causes your glads to over-produce oils to make up for the loss. So even though you think you are washing out the grease, you're really giving your glands the "okay" to over-compensate.

Step Two: Choose your shampoo wisely

I noticed that when I was using shampoos with claims of insane moisture & shine or that would  double your hair's volume, my hair would be greasy immediately after washing. Personally, these types of products weigh my hair down due to all of the extra ingredients in the bottles used to fulfill the claims (which if you ask me, never really work anyways?) I started to use more basic shampoos and saw a world of difference in the amount of time I could go without my hair becoming greasy. My two favorites are the Aussie Moist shampoo and the VO5 Normal Balancing shampoo. Both of these products claim to leave you with clean, simple and beautiful hair and do just that.

Step Three: Ditch the conditioner

Now this, I never thought I'd be able to do and I'd be lying if I said I didn't conditioner every now and then. Once you start washing your hair 3-4 times a week vs. 7, your scapls natural oils are enough to condition your hair. Conditioners are usually very heavy and like over shampooing, promote over-active glands. Like I said above, I still condition my hair every other shampoo, but when I do I'm sure to ONLY apply the the bottom half of my hair. I pull my hair as if I was putting it into a low ponytail at the nape of my neck, and apply from there down. Be sure to completely ignore your roots if you want to remain grease-free for a couple of days.

Step Four: Dry shampoo

Now this is probably the greatest invention ever. When you hair starts to feel greasy just spray some of this onto your roots and you're good to go in seconds. Not only does dry shampoo refresh your hair, but it also adds some nice volume to the top of your head (which if your hair is like mine, can be needed on second and third day hair!) My favorite is from the brand Batiste. I swear whenever I put this in my hair it actually looks and feels like I just washed it.


I have now been following the above for the past year or so and I kid you not, only wash my hair 2-3 times a week. For someone who is as lazy as me and hates blowdrying their hair as much as me, this is an actual miracle. I swear by these four super simple steps and hope they can help you kick over-oily hair. Let me know in the comments if you try out anything (or all) of this list and if you have any other tips on the subject! <3

Products Mentioned:
  • Aussie Moist Shampoo/Conditioner - CVS, $3.99
  • VO5 Normal Balancing Shampoo - Harmon's, $.99 (yes, 99 cents)
  • Batiste Dry Shampoo - ULTA, $7.99 

No comments