Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini + Chicken Soup

If you live in the states, you know the northeast is currently being pounded by Winter Storm Jonas. I actually can't even see out my window right now! It's currently 4:30pm where I live and we already have 15.3 inches of snow (:O) and it's not stopping until at least 1am.

You're probably wondering why I'm telling you this (it's not for sympathy, I promise hehe.) When I heard the storm was coming I knew I wanted to whip up a slow cooker meal that was hearty, warm and made leftovers that would last a while. Queue my favorite tortellini soup!





This stuff is super filling and delicious - My boyfriend loves it! When I woke up this morning, I threw this in the crockpot and within 4 hours we had a delicious lunch and tons of leftovers for us to eat over the next few days (since we'll be trapped for who knows how long!) The ingredients are really simple and you probably have most (if not all!) of them already in your kitchen.

Keep on reading to see how you can create this meal!



Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini + Chicken Soup

Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 3.5 - 6.5 hours

What You Need:
  • 1 Medium Yellow Onion
  • 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flower
  • 1 Tbsp Dried Basil
  • 2 Cloves Minced Garlic
  • 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
  • 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
  • 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
  • To Taste Salt + Pepper
  • 16 Oz Whole Wheat Cheese Tortellini
  • 2 Cups Spinach
  • 1/2 Cup Fat Free Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 Cup Fat Free Half + Half
  • Drizzle Olive Oil

How To Make It:
  1. Add diced onion, flour, basil, garlic, tomato paste to a mircowave-sage bowl and drizzle with a little olive oil.  Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every minute or so.   Add the mixture to the slow cooker. (it's a little dry/weird looking, don't worry!)
  2. Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, salt + pepper to the slow cooker and stir it all together. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours. (I cooked mine on high for 3.5 hours)
  3. Once the initial time is up, add tortellini, spinach, Parmesan cheese and warmed cream (cream needs to be warmed to avoid curdling).  
  4. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred the chicken. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker and cover. Cook on HIGH for 10 additional  minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked through. Serve warm, enjoy!
This is perfect for a cold, snowy or rainy day! Let me know if you try this out and what you think. Thanks for reading & stay warm my fellow east coasters :P

*Recipe adapted from 365 Days of Crock Pot!





PIN FOR LATER



1 comment

  1. I bought my Mom a slow cooker for Christmas, might have to print this post and leave it on the fridge as a nudge haha. Sounds delicious.

    Kiran | www.alittlekiran.co.uk

    ReplyDelete